My parents adopted little Noelle from China when she was 8 years old, almost 4 years ago. She was dropped off on the orphanage steps when she was just a few days old. It was a few days after Christmas, so the orphanage staff guessed she was born on Christmas day. She grew up in the orphanage until my parents went and brought her home. They named her Noelle because of her birthday, and they made her Chinese name, Jie Ling, her middle name. She is the greatest addition to our family and we are very blessed.
Naturally, the fact that she moved here 4 years ago not speaking a lick of English, mixed with the fact that she grew up in a very sheltered life, there are some things she doesn't understand still.
For example, I went home for a quick weekend last December. My mom made dinner and we all sat around the table to eat. The tv was on in the background, and Driving Miss Daisy was showing. The movie was at a point where people are being mean to Morgan Freeman because of racism.
Noelle asked, "Mom, why are they being mean to him?"
Mom said, "Because in those days, not very many people liked black people."
Seeming satisfied with this answer, Noelle simply said, "Oh."
We continued eating.
A few more bites in, she thought of another question. "Mom?"
"Yes, Noelle."
"Am I white or black?"
The rest of us tried to keep our composure. It was the sweetest, most innocent thing she had said. It was so cute!
"You're neither, Noelle, you're Asian."
Noelle looked puzzled. "Well, I know I'm Asian, but am I white or black?"
I chimed in at this point. "There's not only black and white, Noelle. Some people are white, some are black, and some are Asian."
She rolled her eyes at me. "I know I'm Asian, Katie. But am I a white or a black Asian???"
No matter how we explained it, she still thought she either needed to be categorized as a white Asian or a black Asian.
We finally made it through dinner and moved on.
A few days later, in the car with my mom, Noelle brought up racism again.
"Mom, why are some people racist?"
My mom said, "Well, some are because they don't know any better. Like here in Nebraska, racism sometimes happens because there's not much diversity here. Do you notice there's not very many black people here?"
To this, Noelle grinned. "Except me! I'm a black Asian."
So proud.
Last time I was home, I said, "Noelle are you white or black?"
With confidence, she said, "Black."
So there you have it. My sister is a black Asian.
My little sisters Akaela, Noelle and I.
No comments:
Post a Comment